Saturday, February 4, 2023

Almost one year of war...

At this time last year, I was making plans to have the boys, N and Y, and their sister, S, come for Summer 2022. We had so many hopes. There were quiet talks of Russia invading Ukraine. But we were hopeful and pushed forward. I paid for S's passport, as she did not have one yet. I, along with so many others, were trying to give hope to these kids, while at the same time, some knew, some had this fear that our worlds would shatter. 


These three kids, ones that I hold in my heart, I had hopes to bring them home. Hunter and Hudson have so many wonderful memories of these kids. While here, I saw hope and light and a spirit in their eyes. When I see them now, that light is gone. N will be aging out of the system in just over one year. S is turning just 8 years old tomorrow. She has been there in the orphanage since she was 3. And Y, the sweet boy with a heart of gold, is growing up faster than he should have to. 

They have an older brother, who I have regularly spoken with as well. He has aged out of the system; however, he is still receiving some assistance as he is attending the university. But, he also has some serious heart problems. I try to help, but there is only so much I can do. I feel a bit empty with all of this. 

I have met so many wonderful people because these kids were brought into my life. G is a wonderful woman who helps me with the kids. I am beyond grateful for her. Her strength, love and dedication for orphans is extraordinary, even if it takes its toll on her own health. She said something to me the other day when I asked how she was. She said, "I am a living corpse". This is how so many in Ukraine feel. They are living without the basic necessities, fighting a war that they did not ask for and fighting to maintain their own land, beliefs, culture and history. According to Reuters (as of today, 2/4/23), over 43,000 people have died, 15,000 are missing, approximately 14 million are displaced and over $350 Billion in damage (https://www.reuters.com/

If you do not know much about this war, please take the time to learn. Here are some pictures about the first 6 months of war in Ukraine: https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/in-pictures-six-months-of-war-in-ukraine-idUSRTSAMF3L People may wonder why this is such a big deal; however, it is important to remember, Russia invaded Ukraine. There is about 50 miles between mainland Russia and mainland US (Alaska). While it is not likely, Russia could invade the US. Russia made the decision to attack and invade a sovereign nation. Russia made the decision to attack public areas where citizens are. They are killing innocent people. 

At the fall of the USSR, Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons upon entering an agreement with the US, UK and Russia (Budapest Memorandum). Take note how it does not say treaty. Which may have lead to where we are today with Ukraine and Russia. 

Wherever this goes, one thing is certain. So many orphans are missing out on opportunities for homes and families. My heart aches. I still have the money that I raised to bring my kids home. I can't and won't spend it. It is there to bring them home. However, with each passing day, hope decreases and sadness increases. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost one year of war...

At this time last year, I was making plans to have the boys, N and Y, and their sister, S, come for Summer 2022. We had so many hopes. There...